Tuesday 11 June 2013

Feeding the African Wild Dogs



These photos were taken at N/a'an ku se Wildlife Sanctuary in Namibia. I volunteered here for 2 weeks where I got to meet a group of animals I have never had the chance (yet) to see in the wild. These are the African Wild Dogs (or African Painted Wolf). This group was rescued as puppies... Born to a Beta (non-dominant) female they were rejected from their pack and would have been killed had they not been rescued. I normally don't agree with intervening in a natural situation such as this, but African Wild Dogs are highly endangered and the survival of all the young is fundamental to the survival of the species. When these dogs are old enough the plan is to re-integrate them into a wild pack and hope that they can live the rest of their lives naturally. 

Here is when I had the luck to go to a feeding session and got to see the dogs true natures come alive. 















No comments:

Post a Comment